CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

Aggregate Berries


I was very excited today to teach one of my friends and her daughter one of my favorite foraging "secrets". Since all the berries are ripening in our yard and along the bike path I took them on a little berry picking adventure. At first they seemed a bit worried that we might eat a berry that was poisonous. Then, I explained that I only harvest aggregate berries with kids - they are easy to identify, never poisonous and ALWAYS Delicious and packed with nutrition.


Aggregate berries are berries that have little bumps on them like raspberries, blackberries or mulberries. Cherries, strawberries, and elderberries are NOT aggregate berries because they do not have the little bumps and they are smooth.


As soon as I explained what and aggregate berry was the little girl that was walking with me shared with us that she knows where "a bunch" are near her house. So... with this little bit of knowledge an entire new world opens up for her to play and snack in while she is at her house.

No comments: